Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections that spread primarily through sexual contact. STDs are highly contagious and can be transmitted through vaginal, anal, or oral sex, as well as through non-sexual contact in some cases.
Bella Women’s Center offers free-of-charge limited STD testing for women during pre-abortion screenings. Schedule an appointment today and read on for more information.
What Are The Most Common STDs?
While there are many STDs to be aware of, here’s a list of the most common:
- Chlamydia is a common bacterial STD that can lead to serious reproductive health complications if untreated.
- Gonorrhea, caused by a bacterium, can infect the genitals, rectum, and throat, and if left untreated, may lead to significant health issues.
- Trichomoniasis is a parasitic infection that often presents with itching, burning, and discharge in women.
- HPV (Human Papillomavirus) is a viral infection that can lead to genital warts and is linked to several types of cancers.
Why Get Tested?
Untreated STDs can lead to pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), an infection of the female reproductive organs and can lead to serious complications including infertility.
If you’re sexually active, it’s crucial to undergo STD testing even in the absence of symptoms, as many STDs may not have symptoms or show immediately, allowing you or your partner to unknowingly carry the infection while appearing healthy.
Getting STD testing during pregnancy is vital to ensure the health and safety of both the mother and the baby, as untreated STDs can lead to complications such as premature birth and congenital infections.
Even if you are considering abortion, it’s important to first get an STD test because untreated STDs can increase the risk of pelvic inflammatory disease after abortion.
What Are The Symptoms?
Again, many STDs may not show signs at first but some of the more common symptoms can include:
- Abnormal discharge from the genitals
- Pain or burning during urination
- Sores or bumps on the genitals
- Itching or irritation in the genital area
- Unusual vaginal bleeding or pain during intercourse
- Swollen or tender lymph nodes in the groin
- Rashes or warts in the genital or anal area
For some STDs, the longer they remain untreated, the higher the risk of them resulting in health complications. The earlier you undergo testing, the quicker you can access treatment.
You can receive limited STD testing free of charge as part of Bella Women’s Center’s pre-abortion screenings.
If we suspect more STD testing is necessary, we can give you a list of providers in the area that offer more comprehensive testing. We’re here to help.